OFFICE OF THE EXECUTIVE MAYOR
Block B | 2nd Floor | Tshwane House | 320 Madiba Street | Pretoria PO Box 440 | 0001
Tel: 012 358 4903
Email: sallym@tshwane.gov.za
Media statement
Cllr Randall Williams
Executive Mayor, City of Tshwane
9 March 2021
Williams administration signs historic MOU with Airports Company South Africa to advance the operations of Wonderboom National Airport.
This morning I had the privilege of joining the Acting City Manager and the CEO of Airports Company South Africa, Mpumi Mpofu, as we concluded on the signing of a historic memorandum of understanding (MOU) between the City of Tshwane and Airports Company of South Africa (ACSA) SOC in relation to the management and operations of Wonderboom airport.
The MoU seeks to facilitate collaboration on compliance and technical aviation advisory, management, and the execution of identified projects at the City of Tshwane Wonderboom National Airport.
“We are excited by the potential being opened up through this agreement. We are proud of the expertise and skills that Airports Company South Africa has developed through projects such as the development of Terminal 3 at Ghana’s Kotoka International Airport and at Brazil’s
Guarulhos International Airport ahead of the 2014 World Cup. The organisation is therefore keen to demonstrate what it has to offer our colleagues in Wonderboom” – Mpumi Mpofu
“Locally ACSA is providing services to Oribi Airport in Pietermaritzburg inclusive of the development of aerodrome manuals and identification of commercial and operational areas of improvement. Regionally we are in partnership with Aurecom, providing technical services to the Bugesera Airports Company at Bugesera International Airport in Kigali – Rwanda”, said Mpofu

https://www.ward48centurion.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/WhatsApp-Video-2021-03-09-at-18.07.19.mp4

OFFICE OF THE EXECUTIVE MAYOR

The Wonderboom Airport is a general aviation airport and unarguably the training ground for hundreds of pilots across the country. Training activities accounts for 70% of the total airport traffic, with maintenance, flight charters, recreational flying, fly-overs and private flying constituting the remaining 30% of the traffic mix. The Airport is a strategic transportation asset for the City both for air travel and tourism into the Capital City. It holds immense potential for future development and the generation of increased economic opportunities in the city, particularly as a logistics hub in relation to the automotive sector.
To do that requires a partner that understands how to optimise its operations as a strategic asset. It is for this reason that this administration decided to enter into this MOU agreement with ACSA. Through this collaboration ACSA will provide end-to-end aviation project development, execution and management services to the Wonderboom National Airport as and when requested.
“ACSA has evolved over the years building skills and core competencies covering amongst others: airport property development; airport planning and design; aviation quality, safety and security; operations management; facilities and infrastructure maintenance,” said Mpofu
The City of Tshwane and ACSA will work together to address issues of common interest and mutual benefit which seek to enhance operations at the airport. Together, we will embark upon a strategic collaboration and establish regular contact in order to realise the opportunities associated with a growing aviation market and opportunities at Wonderboom airport.
We welcome this opportunity to work with Airports Company South Africa in taking the development of Wonderboom Airport further and enhancing its operations into the future.
Media Inquiries:
Jordan Griffiths
JordanG@tshwane.gov.za