Press cuttings: Councillor Kingsley Wakelin

  • 0

Press cuttings: Councillor Kingsley Wakelin

Below is a list of archived press releases by Councillor Kingsley Wakelin.

Animals a concern in Centurion fire

Wakelin said that he asked for a notice to be given to the owner of the property. “Part of the investigation will determine if the operations there were illegal, and if so, the owner will be asked to remove the remains of the tyres.”

NEWSFLASH: Tyres burning in Centurion

Ward councillor for Ward 48, Kingsley Wakelin said the situation could have been worse as there were electrical cables in the area as well. “Luckily we were able to cut the electricity before any damages could be done.”

 

VIDEO: Hennops River nightmare doesn’t end for Centurions

Centurion Rekord
October 4, 2017
Wakelin said power supply to the plant had been restored but reiterated the problems Centurions were experiencing regarding the river were “ongoing and far from over”.

WATCH VIDEO: Squatters can look forward to relocation

Centurion Rekord
November 4, 2017

Wakelin said more than 759 households were moved to Olievenhoutbosch during phase 1 of the project. For phase 2, 50 houses have been built in Olievenhoutbosch and 250 are due for completion by February. Wakelin said the Tshwane metro’s position was very clear, and that was to move the residents from the informal settlement.

But he indicated there was fear at the metro that another riot could disrupt the relocation process. “We have seen what happened in the past and we do not want anyone to get hurt.”

In March, Rekord reported that the police used rubber bullets to control a crowd after violence broke out in the area. Wakelin said squatters in Mooiplaats in Centurion could now finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. Wakelin said the Gauteng department of human settlements had now bought the private land in Mooiplaats.

Last November, the municipality put the relocation on hold after the SA National Civic Organisation (Sanco), applied for a court interdict to stop the relocation to Olievenhoutbosch. Wakelin said the application was unsuccessful.

“It is important that we work within the guidelines as stipulated by the law, but we are continuing the relocation.” He also said the metro was serious about service delivery.

Centurion mental care centre ‘sickening’

Ward councillor Kingsley Wakelin said neglect at the Ubuhle Care Centre in Mnandi required urgent intervention. “I was sick to my stomach when I visited the Ubuhle centre recently,” he told Rekord. Wakelin of ward 48 said it was time for the health department to act against Ubuhle. “This requires urgent intervention. I am concerned that time will catch up with us as these patients are very vulnerable at the moment.


Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 33 other subscribers.

Archives